Every business should have access to an HMRC Business Tax Account whether the business operates as a sole trader, partnership or a limited company.
As a lot of services are shifting to rely more on digital and/or cloud-based communications with HMRC, it is now required that every business signs up and knows how to access their own Business Tax Account. If you don’t already have a Business Tax Account, we have outlined the process below and prepared a short video that gives you step by step instructions on how to set one up.
In order to create your own government gateway account, follow these steps:
- Visit https://www.gov.uk/log-in-register-hmrc-online-services
- Click the green Sign In button.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on ‘Continue to your account’, below ‘If you do not need coronavirus guidance’.
- Click ‘create sign in details’.
- Input your email address. You will receive a confirmation code via email that you’ll need to complete the process.
- Once you have received and inputted the code, enter the all other requested details.
- You will then be given your own unique government gateway identifier. Please make a note of this and keep a safe record, however, you should also receive it via email.
- You will then need to choose the type of account you require. For a Business Tax Account, you will need to choose ‘Organisation.
- That’s it! You should then be taken through to the homepage of your government gateway account.
Once a Business Tax Account has been set up, it can be used for accessing a range of HMRC services including Customs and Excise Duties, Imports, VAT, Corporation Tax, Construction Industry Scheme, PAYE for Employers, EC Sales lists and Pensions for Employers.
Please note, even if we are your authorised agents, your own personal account is still required in order to receive communications from HMRC which will no longer be sent to us as your agents.
For more information, contact your usual HB&O advisor on 01926 422292