Self Employment Income Support Scheme: how to check your eligibility and apply
5th May 2020
HMRC has started to contact eligible individuals who may qualify for the Self Employment Income Support Scheme (SEISS) and has announced that the claims service will open on Wednesday 13 May.
The claims process will be very simple and we’ve outlined what information you will need to check your eligibility and how to claim below.
Can you check if you are eligible for the scheme ahead of HMRC contacting you?
Yes, HMRC is urging those who think they are eligible to use their online eligibility checker tool.
In order to check your eligibility, you will need:
your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR)
your National Insurance Number
Please note that whilst we can check your eligibility on your behalf, we are unable to make a claim for you, even if we are your authorised agents. It is vital that you have your own government gateway account in order to make the claim.
For a detailed explanation of the eligibility criteria, visit our FAQ page here.
I don’t have my own government gateway account, how do I get one?
In order to create your own government gateway account, follow these steps:
- Visit https://www.gov.uk/log-in-register-hmrc-online-services
- Click the green Sign In button.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on ‘Continue to your account’, below ‘If you do not need coronavirus guidance’.
- Click ‘create sign in details’.
- Input your email address. You will receive a confirmation code via email that you’ll need to complete the process.
- Once you have received and inputted the code, enter the all other requested details.
- You will then be given your own unique government gateway identifier. Please make a note of this and keep a safe record, however, you should also receive it via email. Y
- ou will then need to choose the type of account you require. If you are self-employed, you will need to choose ‘Individual’.
- That’s it! You should then be taken through to the homepage of your government gateway account.
We strongly suggest you set up a government gateway account as soon as possible if you don’t already have one to avoid any delays in submitting a claim and receiving payment.
What happens after I’ve checked my eligibility and I meet the requirements for the grant?
Once the online check is complete, HMRC will give those eligible a date when they can submit their claim.
In order to submit your claim, you will need your:
Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR)
National Insurance Number
your own Government Gateway account, including your username and password
bank account number and sort code you want the grant paid into (the account must be able to accept a Bacs payment)
Once an eligible claim is submitted, you should see the funds in your bank account by 25 May, or within six working days of completing a claim.
If you need assistance in setting up a government gateway account, checking your eligibility for the SEISS or submitting a claim please contact our team on 01926 422292, or your usual HB&O advisor, and we will be happy to assist.