Self Employment Income Support Scheme: how do I apply?
5th May 2020
The second and final grant under the Self Employment Income Support Scheme will open from 17 August. If you fit the eligibility criteria and your business was adversely affected on or after 14 July 2020, you’ll be able to make a claim.
The second and final grant under the Self Employment Income Support Scheme will open from 17 August. The scheme allows you to claim a second and final taxable grant worth 70% of your average monthly trading profits, paid out in a single installment covering 3 months’ worth of profits, and capped at £6,570 in total.
The criteria has not changed, so if you were eligible for the first grant, you will also be eligible for the second, as long as confirm your business has been adversely affected on or after 14 July 2020. You do not have to have claimed the first grant in order to get the second.
HMRC will work out if you’re eligible and how much grant you may get. But you can follow these steps to help you understand how they will do this and what you can do now:
Please note that we are unable to make a claim for you, even if we are your authorised agents. It is vital that you have your own government gateway account in order to make the claim.
For a detailed explanation of the eligibility criteria, visit our FAQ page here.
I don’t have my own government gateway account, how do I get one?
In order to create your own government gateway account, follow these steps:
- Visit https://www.gov.uk/log-in-register-hmrc-online-services
- Click the green Sign In button.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on ‘Continue to your account’, below ‘If you do not need coronavirus guidance’.
- Click ‘create sign in details’.
- Input your email address. You will receive a confirmation code via email that you’ll need to complete the process.
- Once you have received and inputted the code, enter the all other requested details.
- You will then be given your own unique government gateway identifier. Please make a note of this and keep a safe record, however, you should also receive it via email. Y
- ou will then need to choose the type of account you require. If you are self-employed, you will need to choose ‘Individual’.
- That’s it! You should then be taken through to the homepage of your government gateway account.
We strongly suggest you set up a government gateway account as soon as possible if you don’t already have one to avoid any delays in submitting a claim and receiving payment.
How do I make a claim?
In order to submit your claim, once the portal is open, you will need your:
Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR)
National Insurance Number
your own Government Gateway account, including your username and password
bank account number and sort code you want the grant paid into (the account must be able to accept a Bacs payment)
Once an eligible claim is submitted, we expect that you should see the funds in your bank account within six working days of completing a claim.
If you need assistance in setting up a government gateway account, checking your eligibility for the SEISS or submitting a claim please contact our team on 01926 422292, or your usual HB&O advisor, and we will be happy to assist.